Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gathering with friends

I belong to a moms group (Mothers & More). We get together once a week for a different activity each week - book club, game night, dinner out, etc. Some of us also get together on a Sunday for drinks and a movie. We do that every month or two. This group was a lifesaver for me when, in 2004, I moved 600 miles from a city I had lived in since college. I made some of the best friends ever through that group!

In 2007, we were transferred back to the city where my husband and I graduated college. I transferred my Mothers & More membership to the chapter here and have made a lot of new friends.

But I still keep in constant contact with those women I met in 2004. For the third year in a row, we are going on a moms and kids trip. There will be about five moms and 12 or so kids touring St. Louis and doing fun family oriented stuff during the day and resting and having cocktails by the pool in the evening. We made this trip to St. Louis last year, too. It's about a 1/2 way point between where I live now and where they still live. The year before that, we crashed a different city.

I also try to make it to at least one lake trip with these women each year. Unfortunately, I can't go this year and my attendance record at these "every four months" getaways is starting to get tarnished. I hope to do better next year!

Keeping in touch with "old" friends is so important. Obviously, due to distance, we can't do Wednesday Spaghetti, but we can do Occasional Spaghetti! So that's what we do and I am thankful for every moment of time we are together.

5 comments:

Ali said...

It's so great that you're able to spend time with some great friends--love the idea of trying out new cities together!

Unknown said...

Jo - I am totally envious of all of your mom and kids together stuff. I still am in disbelief of that massive mom slumber party you had!! And now this trip to St. Louis?? Good for you!!

Love this Wednesday Spaghetti!!

:-)

AudreyO said...

I've never heard of this group. I would've loved something like that when I moved here all those years ago. I ended up making friends through both Newcommers and also through the preschool.

Deb said...

no wonder you are so well adjusted! must be the great support group you have.

Oonie said...

M&M Rocks! They are the group that saved my sanity here when I was dealing (you know, four years ago and yesterday) with all the transition-to-mommyhood stuff. I was thinking of inviting our chapter for Wed Spag soon; thanks for the inspiration!